Let me remind us from yesterday’s post the list of 13.
1. Base and malevolent thoughts and schemes
2. Acts of sexual immorality – any/all acts outside the Garden Marriage
5. Adulteries – wait, didn’t He mention sexuality immorality, already?
6. Acts of greed and covetousness
9. Unrestrained conduct – this is so broad – like, this could be anything!
10. Envy and jealousy
11. Slander and profanity – profanity? My goodness, I hear it everywhere!
12. Arrogance and self-righteousness
13. Foolishness (poor judgment)
Base and malevolent thoughts and schemes. What could JESUS mean by these words?
Some years ago I discovered online the 1828 edition of Webster’s Dictionary; it’s an honored and enlightening tool. So let us see how Noah Webster defined base.
1. Low in place. obsolete
2. Mean; vile; worthless; that is, low in value or estimation; used of things. source
And the word malevolent; what did he say about that one?
MALEV’OLENT, adjective Having an evil disposition towards another or others; wishing evil to others; ill disposed, or disposed to injure others. A malevolent heart rejoices in the misfortunes of others.
1. Unfavorable; unpropitious; bringing calamity. source
Mean, vile, worthless; having an evil disposition toward others, wishing evil to others, unfavorable.
Clearly, JESUS is instructing me to carefully govern my thinking about myself and others. It is not okay with Him for me to occupy myself with mean, vile, and worthless thinking about myself and it is equally unacceptable for me to entertain myself with untoward (thinking) rejoicing at the misfortune of others.
How interesting it is to me that this would be His first mention here. Perhaps it is because starting here, down this forbidden path, could lead me to the others listed.
More simmering ~ ~ ~ until next time
Mark 7: 20 And He said, “Whatever comes from [the heart of] a man, that is what defiles and dishonors him. 21 For from within, [that is] out the heart of men, come base and malevolent thoughts and schemes, acts of sexual immorality, thefts, murders, adulteries, 22 acts of greed and covetousness, wickedness, deceit, unrestrained conduct, envy and jealousy, slander and profanity, arrogance and self-righteousness and foolishness (poor judgment). 23 All these evil things [schemes and desires] come from within and defile and dishonor the man.” source
Pingback: And Finally – The White Stone
Pingback: Deadly – The White Stone
Pingback: Words and Doings – The White Stone
Pingback: Simmer and Boil – The White Stone
Pingback: Parading – The White Stone
Pingback: Strong – The White Stone
Pingback: Number 7 – The White Stone
Pingback: Me, Me, Me – The White Stone
Pingback: Flirting with the Enemy – The White Stone
Pingback: Heart or Hand – The White Stone
Pingback: End All Of – The White Stone
Pingback: Second on the List – The White Stone